Monday, August 18, 2014

Badge of Honor

When does a person’s career pursuit move from being inspired and passionate to residing in the world of workaholism?  Furthermore, why do we often applaud workaholism as a badge of honor?

I was recently speaking with a friend who is a fresh medical school graduate who has begun the grueling residency process.  When I asked what his schedule was like, he told me that the maximum the hospital has them work is 80 hours per week and a minimum of 60 hours per week.  Baffled by this overwhelming workload (overwhelming at least in my opinion), I sought the perspective of another person who explained that we should all want residents to work so much to ensure exposure to as many medical situations as plausible during their three year residency.  While this is a logical argument and I can’t dismiss it entirely, I also can’t help but wonder if this structure is the best for these doctors or patients who receive their care.  After all, if a doctor works 80 hours in a six day work week, they are essentially working over 13 hours per day.  This only leaves them 11 remaining hours to recharge their batteries in another environment.  If a doctor is approaching 13 hours on their shift, do you want to be the patient receiving this care?  Yet, on the flip-side, I am forever indebted to the labor and delivery nurse who worked beyond the end of her shift to ensure that my first-born son entered the world safely.  So, kudos to her for the passion and dedication to medicine!  I give this example because I know nothing is ever all good or all bad…after all, inspired employees are the backbone to thriving companies.  This is certainly not a forum to encourage laziness!

But what happens when inspiration goes down the slippery workaholism slope?  Does workaholism even have to be found in the number of hours the person works?  What about the person who works a “regular” schedule but cannot mentally let it go when they leave their employer?  They aren’t as engaged in their normal life, because the subtle preoccupation with works prevents them from fully engaging in the present moment.  This would describe me in my former work life.  While I worked a part-time schedule, I found myself constantly torn by the requirements of my job while I was at home.  I would field emails and phone-calls during my days “off.”  I wore this as a badge of honor.  I was needed.  I was helping the lives of the employees at my company.  I was a champion for justice, right?!  But, what about the justice that my home-life was seeking from me?  Why wasn’t it enough for me to be present right at home with my three little ones?  Therefore, even with an ideal part-time, flexible work schedule, I made the decision to quit this job and dive into full-time mommyhood.  I am not advocating that women need to be at home to avoid workaholism, but I am a living example that workaholism can take many shapes and sizes.  Have we paused to consider if these scenarios might be workaholism?

…The truck driver who is technically driving under the government hour requirements, so he dismisses the danger of taking energy drinks while driving on the road sleepy and tired.

…The pastor who attends every congregation visit so not to tax the church members to find more volunteers, while the pastor’s wife quietly holds down the fort at their own home.

…The principal of a school who attends every single school function, because the students and parents absolutely must see her presence, even though her own children would love to have more time learning under her care.

…The police officer who signs up for as many overtime shifts as possible to help protect and serve, while he secretly drowns in his own oppressive depression.

…The retail manager who works every holiday shift to give his staff a break, but never sees his own parents or siblings on the holidays.

This isn’t intended to shame anyone or send anyone on a guilt-trip.  Rather, it is to acknowledge that workaholism is a real issue, and it isn’t just delegated to the CEO of a company.  When we revere people for living on five hours of sleep for pursuing work goals or praise professionals for climbing the corporate ladder at the detriment of their outside lives, we perpetuate the cycle.  We encourage the myth that this is admirable and maintainable without costs in other areas of life.  Perhaps we should be more careful about what badges of honor we choose to wear and which we choose to award other people.   Props to those who have found a way to balance the delicate pendulum of working diligently and also embracing the other facets of life.  This is a true badge of honor.

Changepoints:

We might knowingly or unknowingly engage in workaholism, because:

  • We are used to constantly juggling life and don’t know how to truly relax.
  • We are driven by money or prestige more than we care to admit.
  • We are more comfortable with our work lives than any of our outside identities.
  • We are afraid of lay-offs and the economic downturn of past years.
    • How can you establish healthy boundaries to protect yourself when you are moving from passion to pitfall?
    • Which people in your life can act as a support system or referee when you are placing too much emphasis on your work?

 Be a great worker, but also be a greater achiever of life!
 

outSIGHTin, LLC: Creating awareness as a changepoint for improved organizational results.

No comments:

Post a Comment