Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Blazers

Sometimes during business trips I get the rare opportunity to explore communities.  Recently, I was fortunate enough to get to see the sights of Charlotte, North Carolina.  I was wandering aimlessly because I believe that’s where the magic can be found.  Charlotte’s Uptown District didn’t disappoint.

I decided to check out the NBA Hornet’s stadium because my youngest son loves basketball.  So, I snapped a few pictures of the complex and went on my merry way.  I wasn’t paying much attention to my surroundings because I was enamored by the cool vibe of the area.  In my state of distraction, I didn’t notice suddenly being surrounded by a group of very tall, athletic men.  Most were wearing clothing emblazoned with Blazers’ logos on it.  And yet, this still didn’t send any striking messages to me.  Instead, I mixed in with the men because frankly they were coming out of a restaurant I thought looked stellar.  I wasn’t interested in the people exiting the restaurant, I just wanted to scope out the cool place.  Then, I noticed that people were paying a lot of attention to these gentlemen.  I couldn’t figure out what all the hubbub was about and why these guys were wearing clothing that said “Blazers” on it when we were clearly in “Hornets” country.  I still didn’t give it much thought and just went about my business.  I smiled and chatted with some of the men because it seemed like the polite thing to do.  Then, someone beside me says, “Isn’t it awesome that you just connected with Damian Lillard?”  Ummm – sure.  Except I don’t know who they are talking about.  I had just wanted to be friendly.  As I start to pay more attention, I notice there is quite a bit of security around, cameras are flashing, and there is a fleet of busses on the street.  These gentlemen start walking into the busses, and I realize I’ve stumbled upon the NBA Portland Blazers leaving their lunch as they are preparing for the game that night against the Hornets. 

I decide not to mingle any further and take a few steps back to quietly snap a few photos to show my son later (who, by the way, was quite disappointed I didn’t request autographs).  I explained to him that I didn’t ask for their autographs, because they are just people like us.  They want to eat their lunch and prepare for work like the rest of us. 

Side note: We did discuss how it was extremely funny that I didn’t initially realize I was surrounded by professional athletes.  But I think if I had another opportunity to talk to these athletes they would likely say they appreciated that I wasn’t starstruck.  I treated them like I would any other stranger on the street…with a smile and quick chatter.  It was a comical reminder that sometimes what we need is a dose of normalcy.  To feel surrounded by regularity.  To move under the radar.  To not solely be identified by our occupation.  To be allowed the opportunity to enjoy the small moments without interruption.

Professional athlete or not, we all live in the same world.  None of us are more special or less special because of our career-path or popularity.  We all need to have the same needs met, like eating lunch and fulfilling the roles we’ve been given.  Some, however, happen to get to ride on chartered busses and eat at fancy restaurants while doing so.

Changepoints:

Think about your celebrity crush and who you would want to run into on the street:

·        Consider how they would likely appreciate solitude and normalcy in events that we take for granted, like a simple lunch.  Might we hold different perspectives about the routines of our lives if we knew these same things are gifts to others?

·        Can we appreciate that popularity, power, and status come with its own challenges?

·        In what ways can we interject positivity into the lives of others just by offering gestures like a smile and simple words?

·        Despite the career, prestige, or rank someone holds, can we embrace the notion that interactions can be reciprocal, and we all have something to offer?

o   How can we demonstrate an appreciation for where we are at in life and that this simplicity can be a reprieve for others?

o   Can we shift our perspective to an understanding that no assignment in life is altogether good or bad?

The next time you see a group of amazing athletes standing in your midst, consider that the very thing you might be offering them is the unintended gift of not asking for their autograph.  

outSIGHTin, LLC: Creating awareness as a changepoint for improved organizational results.

No comments:

Post a Comment