Thursday, January 12, 2023

Oil Change

A new auto service company opened near my workplace, so I decided it would be nice to support a local company over the national company I used in the past.  Because my Subaru Outback was now three years old, I didn’t feel as compelled to go to the dealer to have regular maintenance completed.  So, I decided to give this new company a whirl.  I called to make an appointment, and I was greeted by a friendly gentleman who asked what I was needing.  I told him I needed an oil change.  And this is where the conversation got tricky.

“What type of oil change would you like to get?” the kindly mechanic asked me.  “Umm…an oil change,” I cautiously replied.  He cheerfully responded, “Let me help here.  Do you want a conventional or synthetic oil change?”  A big pause was followed by, “Umm…I didn’t know there was a difference, but I would guess I wouldn’t want something synthetic, would I?  Maybe I should get the real oil change?”  Unbeknownst to me, I had entered the role of comedian because this man started to laugh.  And by laugh, I mean gut-laugh.  He truly wasn’t being rude at all; he was laughing in delight.  After composing himself he said, “Honey, let’s take a minute to learn together.  If it were my car, I would get the synthetic, because it is better in the long run for your car.  This is one time where synthetic isn’t a bad thing.  It’ll cost you more, but I believe it is worth the investment.”

I proceeded to thank him for graciously helping me through my ignorance.  His next words were profound, “You aren’t any different than the rest of us.  We all didn’t know something important at one point in time.  That’s why we are here to teach each other.”  He is, of course, correct.  For instance, I didn’t attain my doctorate and write my dissertation without first learning how to craft a sentence.  And there was a time when this mechanic didn’t know all the components that make up a car.  Yet today he is a master technician, to which I am grateful.  I may love the world of wordsmithing, but I’ll leave the automobile talents to him.

It would be a kinder world if everyone gave learners the same grace the mechanic gave me.  He could have scoffed at my lack of knowledge, but instead he chose to walk alongside and teach me.  Perhaps more people would have an openness to trying new things and taking new adventures if there was safety in doing so.  We all have areas of expertise where we can gift our knowledge to others.  Conversely, we all have areas of lack where we can be recipients of the gift of another’s knowledge. Teacher meet Student.  Student meet Teacher. 

Changepoints:

Consider a skillset, hobby, interest, discipline, knowledge, or path you have been curious to explore:

·        How could you introduce yourself to this unchartered area?

·        Who is a trust expert, business, or friend who could impart their wisdom or provide needed guidance?

·        What areas of expertise or giftedness have you been given that you could share with others?  How will you go about sharing this with others?

·        How does giving and receiving knowledge from others break down barriers tied to fear?

o   What would newfound confidence or a newly acquired skillset do for you?  For those around you?

o   Why are we responsible to be good stewards with the gifts and talents we have been given?

 

Sometimes a little motor oil is all a person needs to realize that teaching opportunities are just a vehicle away.

outSIGHTin, LLC: Creating awareness as a changepoint for improved organizational results.


No comments:

Post a Comment