Thursday, April 13, 2023

Typos

My phone loves to autocorrect the word “people” to “orioles.”  I’m not sure why my beloved device thinks that humans and a particular bird species are the same thing, but nevertheless, I often inadvertently send comical texts to friends when I’m in a hurry and don’t proofread.  Somehow texting, “Some orioles drive me crazy” doesn’t drive home the same message as, “Some people drive me crazy.”  And, yes, that is something I’ve texted my friends, because, yes, some people DO drive me crazy.  Orioles might drive me crazy, too, but I can’t say I have those flying around my town.

The first obvious takeaway is that I should proofread my writings.  Guilty as charged when it comes to my texting skills.  However, the less apparent lesson is the gift of understanding readers give me when studying my ill-written texts.  They try to make sense of my message using context, and then give me grace based on understanding my intent.  I think most people who are tec-savvy would say they do the same when an incoherent text comes their way.

I wonder how much better our communication would be if we apply the same principals in other interactions with people.  Instead of jumping to conclusions, if we took a step back and tried to understand the context of their message and assume good intent, perhaps fewer conflicts, hurt feelings, or misunderstandings would occur.  We know that in the world of texting, people are in a hurry and autocorrect goes into hyperdrive.  Applying the same mindset, when we are busy in the other facets of our lives, maybe it is our less developed brains that kick into hyperdrive, and we speak before reasoning it out.  I am sure most of us know we’ve been guilty of acting or speaking before thinking.  Assuming good intent from others and studying the context of their world – perhaps busyness or stress –  would allow us to provide a broader and more compassionate lens on the situation.

If you receive a text from me about some random oriole, please know I’m likely busy with my kids, work, and social life.  Birds are lovely creatures, but humans are even lovelier yet.

Changepoints:

Go through your phone and observe text exchanges where typos exist, and find when grace and understanding is provided among the participants:

·      What makes it easier in texting versus other forms of interactions to provide a more insightful perspective?

·      How can we better manifest a “text-forgiving” exchange with others?

·      In what circumstances do you tend to jump to conclusions or, conversely, provide more compassion?

·      How can you help slow yourself down in your own communication with others or when trying to interpret the communication of someone else?

o   Are there patterns you can identify to try to address this?

o   What outcomes could potentially result?

 

I probably should take some time to study why my phone autocorrects peculiar words, but until them:  I wish all my favorite oriels goodness and happy exchanges with one another.

outSIGHTin, LLC: Creating awareness as a changepoint for improved organizational results.

No comments:

Post a Comment