Thursday, June 8, 2023

Brown Noise

While trying to get my technology to produce background noise to help with sleep, I asked the device to play “white noise”.  When my kids heard me instructing it to create this particular sound, they asked me why that was the type of noise selected.  I must have looked baffled because they proceeded to shed light on my ignorance surrounding the topic.  There are lots of “colored” noise, I was soon enlightened.  Conversation unfolded about why each person liked a particular noise color.  I proceeded to scroll through a list of options and found that I like brown noise.  Here I thought white noise was the only choice.

During this investigation process, I discovered sound engineers initially named the noise frequency with the color which loosely captured the light frequency that would correlate if the sound were a color.  The first sound that was defined this way was white noise, hence why it is the one most referred to when people seek soothing background noise.

I have since discovered at least 11 sound colors, some technical and others informal.  All seek to capture the relationship between the sound wave output and the light color frequency.  Pink, green, and blue noise are just three of the colored noises to which a person can sleep or meditate to.  Interestingly, brown noise is actually named after Brownian Motion and is also known by the name “random walk” noise.  It seems like a fitting name for how I often live my life, so perhaps this is why it resonates with me as I sleep.

Our words are also sounds, and they carry vibrations and light.  Whether it is a positive, bright light largely rests upon us.  We can’t necessarily control how our words are received, but to a high degree we can use intention to shape our words in such a way that the energy, speed, and frequency spread the message how we desire, both to help or to harm.

Next time we speak, let’s truly pause to contemplate the words and the intended vibrations to help us with the delivery.  If we wish for our language to carry positivity, we must study the energy we are infusing with it.  Sound and light go together.  We can decide if we want to be violet light or noisy black light.  If we prefer to shine through our communication, it starts with a partnership between the literal words and energy behind them.

Changepoints:

Play through the list of available background noise colors and listen to the nuisances of the options:

·      How do the differences among the background noise choices translate to the way you think about communication in your own life?

·      How can you shift the way you hear others to capture the vibration they intend to convey?

·      Who in your life demonstrates the ability to balance their words, beliefs, and energy together?

·      What facets of your life could be improved by paying attention to the energy you place into your communication?

o   What relationships or tasks will be augmented by doing so?

o   How will you chart a path to match your “noise” with your “light”? 

Color is a beautiful way to capture the spectrum between intent and impact as it pertains to the bridging of our noise and our light.  May our energy authentically align with the image we hold out to the universe.

outSIGHTin, LLC: Creating awareness as a changepoint for improved organizational results.

No comments:

Post a Comment