Thursday, February 23, 2023

Cookie Mystery

My youngest son was competing in a basketball tournament so I thought it would be fun to bring him a celebratory cookie from the grocery store bakery.  I found a cookie that seemed to be suitable based on his interests: a green cookie with the number three frosted on it.  Because he is a Larry Bird fan, the green color reflective of the Boston Celtics and the number three reflective of #33 for his jersey seemed to make sense.  I bought the cookie and went on my way.  As I was driving to the game, I started looking at the cookie and decided I was no longer confident I was looking at the number three frosted on this dessert.  I turned the cookie in various directions to study it.  I was now certain I was looking at Latin, Greek, or hieroglyphics.  

I decided that unless I was giving my son a cookie with a gang symbol on it, I would proceed with giving him the treat.  Upon walking into the gym, a fellow parent looked over my shoulder and said, “Interesting that the bakery made a cookie for the Wahlburgers restaurant.”  WHAT?!  I told her about my inability to read the “three/3” on the cookie, and she turned the container and the 3 became a W.  It was written in the exact style and color of the Wahlburgers logo.  I found it hysterical that I misinterpreted the cookie so significantly, especially since Wahlburgers is a popular restaurant in the area.  In fact, Wahlburgers is the restaurant adjoining the grocery store where I bought the cookie so the marketing technique was brilliant. 

The parent’s perspective was exactly what I needed to see it correctly.  And once I saw what she pointed out, I could hardly see the previous “3” anymore.  The “W” was now so apparent it jumped out.  How did I miss it before?  Because I had basketball on my mind and was trying to find something my son would like, my mind was validating my search.  I lost objectivity because of my mindset.  Finding something that resonated with my son’s love for Larry Bird and the Boston Celtics clouded my view.  Yet, the unbiased parent could read the symbol instantly.

It is easy to fix our view on what is confirming or validating of our wishes.  However, doing so doesn’t make the interpretation correct nor does it change the message.  The “W” isn’t a “3” just because I want it to be.  This is why using outside resources and checking for bias helps us better navigate potential blind spots.  Thankfully, after the basketball tournament my son devoured his cookie without a second thought that his mom had been utterly clueless when she bought it for him.  

Changepoints:

Consider a time when you initially misinterpreted something and then later had it corrected:

·        What areas in your life might leave you susceptible to misunderstandings?  Who or what can you lean upon to create checks-and-balances?

·        How can you offer varying perspectives to those in your life who might have tunneled vision on a topic?

·        When are you most receptive to the feedback from others that might challenge your worldview?

·        Who do you know who remains open, flexible, and transparent about the way they try to intake information?

o   What can their lives teach you about the pitfalls of becoming too wetted to a particular mindset?

o   How can you integrate their approach to the areas you have identified where your perspective might be limiting or hamstringing you?

Regardless how delicious it may be, a cookie doesn’t become a Boston Celtics/Larry Bird cookie because I will it to be.  It’s still a Wahlburger cookie by its design.

outSIGHTin, LLC: Creating awareness as a changepoint for improved organizational results.

No comments:

Post a Comment