Thursday, March 2, 2023

Remodeling

 When I moved into my house, I recognized that it was outdated compared to the latest trends.  However, the space was functional for my kids and the location was great.  I hopped on the chance to buy a home while the market was affordable.  Within a year of living in the home, however, I began feeling stifled in my very small kitchen.  I considered various solutions: knock down walls, expand outside, leave the original footprint, or do nothing.  I quickly assessed my values and decided that doing nothing wouldn’t make me happy but changing the layout was cost prohibitive.  I made the choice to work with the footprint of the small kitchen to maximize what was already there.

I studied the kitchen for weeks.  Upon reflection, I discovered that the color of the cabinets, the style of countertops, and lack of lighting was causing the already small space to feel much smaller.  With a bit of quick research, I discovered that I was capable of painting the cabinets and countertops with products designed specifically for this function.  While labor intensive, it was very inexpensive and drastically changed the feel of the space.  Having an electrician change the lighting fixtures and installing new cabinet hardware both lightened the space and created better functionality. 

The next step was creating a magnetic pegboard system to affix to the refrigerator.  This allowed me to hang kitchen gadgets in an otherwise dead space while freeing up an entire drawer.  I designed a rolling cart system to add more storage and prep space, and then painted the walls to add more style.  With a few hundred dollars I created a space that is more suited to my creative vibe while still increasing the functionality. 

I could have spent a lot of time, money, and energy making the space bigger, but I decided to work with the history and blueprint of the kitchen.  Sometimes a blank slate isn’t a viable option and working creatively with what already exists makes more sense.  The same can be true for us when we decide to work on self-improvements.  A total reset, new template, or blank canvas might not be realistic.  Instead, embracing some of the foundational footprints and history can encourage us to be creative problem-solvers, tenaciously resilient, or contented processors.  Believing that the entirety of our past should be ignored or avoided can lead to a fixed mindset where we limit potential and opportunities.  Conversely, thinking that we are permanently bound by previous choices hedges our growth.  Creative remodeling balances the two concepts.

Embracing who you are and infusing light and color into your self-perspective can add so much value and performance without gutting yourself entirely.

Changepoints:

Consider a place or space (whether in a home, event venue, or office/business) where you creatively worked with the confines of what was already there:

·        How did it feel to use a different mindset to use an established setting instead of wiping the slate clean?  How might this translate into your own personal development?

·        Who in your life models an example of authentic self-acceptance while still seeking growth?

·        What would the experience be like if you were more accepting of your history and background as you work on self-development?

·        What areas in your life are you more prone to self-shame by trying to wish this part of your story away?

o   What positives can flow by embracing vulnerability and displaying this to others?

o   How might your journey be enhanced if you shifted to a mindset that balanced self-acceptance with self-improvement?

My kitchen is still small, but now it is a mighty space that serves my life well while still reflecting my values of being financially conscious, creative, and self-empowered.

outSIGHTin, LLC: Creating awareness as a changepoint for improved organizational results.

No comments:

Post a Comment