Thursday, May 11, 2023

Fishing Lures

Recently, I was telling a story about my teenage son sparking a newfound interest in fishing.  The coworker then asked me a few questions about my son’s passion to determine what he fished for and where he participated in this hobby.  I didn’t give the friendly conversation a lot of thought as there were business agenda items to cover, so we moved on with the day.

During a break I saw the coworker go to his truck, which is a routine activity for any of the staff.  Upon his return, we resumed the meeting.  But before official business was started, he placed two fishing lures beside me and said he wanted to gift them to my son.  He also explained that he assembles and paints fishing lures for his friends, so he wanted my son to experience it for himself.

When I got home, I gave the lures to my son and went about the tasks of the household.  Within an hour, I had a text from my son with pictures of himself fishing with the new lures and catching a fish.  He also made sure to let me know that custom lures are expensive and very special.  His elation at the gesture humbled me.  I already knew my coworker was thoughtful, but the feedback from my son revealed the extent of the impact of the decision to be kind and generous.

All because a coworker paid attention to my words and asked insightful questions about my son whom he had never even met.  I’ll probably never fully appreciate the full effect this had on my son being seen, heard, and validated as an individual growing into himself as a young man.  Imagine that if a small fishing lure can change the world of one life then what continued generosity and thoughtfulness can do on a larger scale?  We should all cast our lines out to pay attention to the details people around us present so we can use it as platforms of encouragement.

Changepoints:

Think of a specific time when you received unexpected kindness because someone was paying attention to your needs:

·      In what ways did this action help you feel validated as a unique individual?

·      What practices do you employ in your personal life to ensure you are in-tune with others?

·      How can generosity, awareness, and helpfulness be spread to those in your world who might unknowingly need affirmation?

·      How can you be a willing recipient when people try to help or serve you?

o   What does an open spirit do to receiving unexpected acts of thoughtfulness?

o   How do perspectives shift when we seek to validate and appreciate those around us? 

A three-inch fishing lure ignited a passion in my son.  He will remember the gift long after the lure is gone.  That’s the power of deliberate thoughtfulness.

outSIGHTin, LLC: Creating awareness as a changepoint for improved organizational results.

No comments:

Post a Comment