Thursday, May 18, 2023

Phone Crisis

Rushing out the door in a hurry is a surefire way to misplace something you need to take with you.  The evening I was headed out with a tight deadline was no exception.  My phone was missing.  My kids attempted to call my phone for me, but I already had a sneaking suspicion that I had turned the ringer off during a previous meeting.  Yep.  No ringing within earshot of anyone.

It was approaching the time where I simply had to leave, so I told my kids that I would be gone for a few hours without it.  My daughter became bug-eyed and said, “It will be a crisis if you can’t find your phone.  How will you go a few hours without it?!  I’d DIE without my phone.”  No mystery here that she is a teenager who almost keeps her phone stapled to her body.  So, no surprise that not having a phone for a few hours might signal the end of the earth.

Ironically, my phone was found right before I needed to leave on the floorboard of the very car I was going to use to get to my next appointment.  With a huge sense of relief, my daughter told me how happy she was that the lost had been found.  I’m certain she was more excited about it than I was.

Cellphones are her kryptonite as she quickly loses her resolve and discipline when she hears the ping of friends messaging her.  As scientists have confirmed, technology has a strong capacity to make dopamine levels surge in people.  Hence why they are so magnetic.  However, cellphones are just one area where a person may experience a stronghold or addictive-like presence in their life.

After our conversation ended, I thought about how most people have a vice in their life that can create panic if we believe it would be taken away from us.  Exercise, work, technology (television, cellphone, laptop), relationships (romantic, family, social), substances (caffeine, alcohol, nicotine), hobbies (sports, shopping, art).  These are just a few examples of what may rule our lives if we are truly honest with ourselves.  While I was amused by my daughter’s concern about my “lost” cellphone, I realized that it does have a powerful hold on the lives of many.  Just because it isn’t my weakness doesn’t mean I don’t have my own.  Upon reflection, I acknowledged that my career-life and fitness pursuits can take center stage, and I would feel a lot like my daughter if these were taken away. 

None of these things are inherently good or bad in and of itself.  The power is given by us to these areas.  It is our right and our privilege to get to pursue the act of disciplined balance in whatever facets we face.  It is a gift to get all these first world bonuses that we often tout as stressors.  Instead of labeling or judging them one way or another, make a choice to determine the role it will play in our world.  As for my daughter, it may take a while until she can comfortably ignore her social media.  And that’s okay as we are all works in progress.

Changepoints:

With honest self-reflection, consider the areas in your life where you would an imbalanced level of anxiety if it were taken away:

·      What is it about this activity, object, or person that you have given power over your life?

·      How did this stronghold take center stage in your world?

·      What steps can you take to take a healthier approach and balance to it?

·      How will the rest of your life be better served if you create this equilibrium?

o   Who are the accountability partners in your life who can help you address this plan?

o   How can you focus on the benefits of creating this balance whereby reducing anxiety? 

The cellphone will continue to ring and buzz with calls and texts.  We can’t control that part of the equation.  We can, however, decide to put the phone on silent.  Just remember that you might end up finding it on the floorboard of your car when you’re in a rush.  And you’ll still survive.

outSIGHTin, LLC: Creating awareness as a changepoint for improved organizational results.

No comments:

Post a Comment